Just Under the Surface + Repost

Just Under the Surface

Here is another image from Cape Henlopen SP captured at the same breakwater as my last post. I thought this scene had some potential to be something moody and mysterious with a long exposure of the water as it swirled around the rocks letting the viewer’s imagination wonder what was lying beneath the surface of the water. This was taken 40 minutes past sunset and was my favorite because of the texture and detail in the water created with a 25 second exposure. I think the rocks poking out of the surf intensify that mood. I am curious as to how others feel about this image.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome. Just wondering if this is mysterious to others or just me.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35mm, f 14 @ 25 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod.

Conceptually, I like this. The soft water and hard rocks have some nice contrast. Compositionally, it doesn’t seem to work quite as well. The center of the frame is mostly just soft water and I find my eyes going to the bottom edge as a place to rest instead of staying in the frame. Perhaps a wider angle lens could helped here depending what was available to work with below the bottom rock.

I find mystery in this image as well. The foreground looks almost like clouds, which makes me wonder what is beneath the surface. The blue hue reinforces the mystery for me as well.

Hi Ed,

I do like this version much better than your previous one.
I find it mysterious enough although a little tight on the composition (especially on the bottom part)

I took the liberty to try some small adjustment to your picture, mainly pushing a little the whites and opening the dark’s a bit. (It’s a little noisier, but you should be better working with your NEF file)

Ed, the mood and mystery come through here for me, the blue colors rally enhance that feeling. I do like the direction of the rework by @joaoquintela , making fuller use of the tonal range has added some vitality to the frothy white water.

Similar to @Tony_Kuyper I find my eye getting gravitating more to the bottom than I would like. Those two rocks have so much visual weight. Maybe a crop from the bottom to eliminate the very bottom center rock would help. When I do that, I get more of a line from the remaining rock to the pilings.

Many thanks to everyone @Tony_Kuyper, @DeanRoyer, @joaoquintela and @Ed_McGuirk for taking a moment to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. Here is a repost hopefully addressing your suggestions. I tried bringing the whites up a little and cropped the bottom rock from the scene. This is actually a different file as I went with one that I used ISO 100 rather than ISO 400 of the original to reduce the noise somewhat. I am glad the air of mystery came through for you folks.

I love your last post, it is the image I have seen in my eyes just when I saw your original post. I hope not to be pedantic saying that I would cut a bit more at the bottom for a better anchored basis and for bringing a bit more near the central part. I love the image, a beautiful atmosphere.

Ed - I really like this crop and think it well addresses the issue of the bottom of the frame. The rock on the R border is standing out a bit more and I wonder about allowing that one to blend in more by dodging those shadows and rather trying to burn the rock in the middle more consistent with the rock inside the L side of the frame in order to keep the viewer in the frame.

Ed, This really works for me and you certainly captured the mood you wanted. I feel the crop version is even better! Nice work on this.

Many thanks @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Jim_McGovern and @Nick_Bristol for taking a moment to leave your thoughts. I am glad you guys enjoyed the image. I think crop definitely helps refine the scene. I almost did that before posting, but decided not to at the last moment. :laughing:
@Jim_McGovern : I see what you mean and will play around with that a bit.