Juvenile Baldy

I was out looking for a Ferruginous Hawk I’d been seeing when I came upon a distant large bird perched in a tree and could see that it did not have enough white to be a Ferruginous and, after a bit, it took off. Fortunately for me, it flew on a nice, into the morning sun angle and allowed me to blast away. This was my favorite of the volley. It was not a Ferruginous but I am NOT complaining.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 1/3200th, ISO 390, 560mm, cropped to 2228 x 1614, hand held, AI Clear, cropped to 2228 x 1614.

It is always great to get an eagle in the viewfinder. Birds of any kind against a plain blue sky never have quite the same appeal as some other background, but if they have to be against a blue sky, the sky color has to be managed in post. This image has a heavy blue cast on the bird and the sky for me is over saturated. I took the image to PS and did a first color correction just to work the eagle, then a second layer just to work the blue sky. Here’s the result.

Nice wing position and a good crisp shot, Dave. I think Keith’s color changes are a distinct improvement.

A nice tight and clean shot of the young eagle. I also prefer the look Keith has given the eagle. Image quality held up to what looks to be a fairly big crop.

Wonderful shot with a good point by @Keith_Bauer. It’s so easy to believe the colors that came out of the camera but they can be very inaccurate.

Nice one, I cannot remember having seen many juveniles, thanks for sharing ! Also Keith’s suggestion of taking out some of the blue is a good one i.m.o… Cheers, Hans