Juvenile Turkey Vulture #2

I was able to watch a group of turkey vultures for a couple of days gathered at a deer carcass. There was a juvenile who was so cute to watch. You could see him exploring, testing the limits of proper eating etiquette. And I was thrilled to have him circle very close to me to see how I fit in with all this in his world!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon. D3400, 300mm, f/8, 1/1000, ISO 1600, slight crop, converted to black and white

apani.hill
2 Likes

Wow, very cool straight on shot, Vanessa, with him just scoping you out. Nice catch indeed.

1 Like

Very well done as BW. Love the head turn/look at you.

1 Like

Nicely done, Vanessa. The B&W is quite appropriate for this bird and I really like the head turn.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Bostock @David_Schoen @Dennis_Plank for looking and your comments. It was a wonderful experience! I’m glad you like my vulture! I have a few others coming!

Hi Vanessa
I think your uses of B&W works with this Turkey Vulture and I like the head turn.
Peter

1 Like

You have achieved what I find difficult to obtain a good head-on shot, and this one is very good. Congratulations. I’m curious: what is the square shape near the end of the wing on the left (it’s right)?

1 Like

Thank you @peter and @Jim_Gavin for your kind comments. And I was wondering if anyone would notice the little square notch taken out of his/her wing @Jim_Gavin ! You did! I have quite a few photos of this individual and it appears that it’s a tear. I wouldn’t know if it’s from an injury or maybe got in trouble with one of the older vultures! I wouldn’t be surprised because he seemed pretty bold and adventurous! What I thought were the parents seemed like they were trying to keep the juvenile back from trying to get a taste of the deer because the one or two that were working on it at the time seemed to indicate it was their turn and not his!

Must comply with the pecking order.