Kestral Portrait

Taken last year at a PNW Wildlife Refuge, from a car, late agternoon, hazy light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 500, 200-500@500mm, f7.1, 2500th, D500, handheld, 90% full frame, minimal sharpening

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Superb detail and colors, David. I’m not sure about the crop. Showing that much of the body without the rest feels a bit awkward to me, but that’s a matter of taste.

Great detail and color in this portrait, David! I hope you zoomed out a bit and got some with the whole bird in the frame! I would like to see one of those too.

How about a 50% greater crop so it is a more personal portrait? Looks like it could handle such a crop and still retain sharpness and great color.

Hard to get close to these guys to get such excellent detail. One of the best Kestrel shots I’ve seen.

David, I am amazed that you got so close to one of these. They are usually very skittish. The details are superb.