Lace Lichen

California has a state lichen, and this is it! If it wasn’t for the “shelter in place” order, I never would have discovered this in my own back yard today. It was hanging off a Japanese maple tree. It is so delicate and intriguing

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken with 100 macro lens at f/4, ISO250,1/1000. Hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Kathy, I think we are all discovering our own back yards these days. You really did a fine job capturing the delicate lace like lichen. I like that you included some of it out of focus as well in the background. The nice smooth background makes it stand out nicely. Stay safe.

1 Like

Well, that is a new fact to file away for future reference - who knew? This is lovely. The delicate lines against the soft background are beautiful. Did you consider cloning out that darkest stick in the ULC? It catches my eye a bit.

Wonderful capture Kathy. I love the contrast and the detailed structure seen here. I have lived most of my life in California and never seen it. Awesome!!!

Kathy: Necessity is the mother of invention. If it wasn’t for our garden I would be succumbing to terminal boredom. I think I would make the dark stick in the corner disappear but the rest is terrific. You’ve made a fine image from simple subject matter. Top notch. >=))>

Kathy, the concept of legislatures designating a state lichen sure gets me going on how our “leaders” can spend so much time doing so little and then have problems handling the big stuff… This is a way cool lichen with it’s lacy structure and your view both shows it off well and makes for a dreamy inviting image. With such a neat structure, it’s easy to see why someone would single it out for attention.