Landmannalaugar Landscape-Reposts

I think I have just a handful of images left from Iceland to share for feedback, all near Landmannalaugar. This one has been nagging at me for a while. I have two takes on the same view, one with more blue sky and foreground lava, and one emphasizing the foreground flowers. I would love to know which of the two general compositions you each prefer and, of course, what I could do to improve them.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

In Image #2 with the flowers, would it be better to crop the foreground to omit any brown ground (or clone flowers over it?) or does the v shape function like a leading line. I feel like I should crop it out.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Marylynne, I love both images. The processing is spot on to me although I would like to see more of the foreground in #1. As for #2, I wouldn’t crop the brown there. It sort of breaks the monotonous flower foreground. I wish this was taken with a shorter focal length, I think it would really make the flowers sing.

I find it hard to rank them, as each has a very different look. I would not crop the second and might try to pop the contrast in the sky a bit in both. I also might give a little CCW rotation to the second one. Both work nicely for me.

I prefer the 2nd version. For me the foreground rocks in the first distract from the beautiful mountains.

If you’re ok with doing this sort of thing I would suggest cloning the brown areas in the 2nd images and add some flowers. Another thing you could try would be to push the greens cooler towards blue a bit to get some more color contrast with the brown hills. Finally, there is some good texture in the sky. Darkening and increasing contrast on the top edge would help keep the eye on the hills. Here’s a quick and dirty version of what I am talking about:

Thanks, folks. Here is a second stab at both images, and I’m always up for a third or fourth revision. I can take a more careful approach to the fg flowers in #2, just wanted to give it a quick go along the lines of Thorsten’s edit:

#1 with more punch to sky and more fg

#2 with cloned flowers, cooled fg, straightened, and more punch to sky

The first image just doesn’t have the vitality of the second. The colors are weaker and it’s a little less contrasty. You might trying to darken that fg rock in the first image. It’s a bit bright and I suspect that’s why you initially cropped it off.

I prefer the dirt at the bottom rather than a homogenous bed of flowers. I would remove as many flowers as you can from that dirt patch, though. Make it continuous.

BTW, I’m very impressed that you can spell all of these names. I don’t think I could do it.

Beautiful set of images, Marylynne. Each very nice in its own right but if I had to pick, I slightly prefer the second. The reposts look much better and address the suggestions I would have given. However, I do agree with @Igor_Doncov on darkening the foreground rock in image 1.

Marylynne,

Vote for #2 as presented. Yes, there are a number of crops, suggestions, clones, etc. that will work, just not sure if they elevate to any degree. I think leaving the bit of bare ground at the bottom breaks things up and works well in the grand scheme.

I think the field of flowers is refreshing and again, those overcast skies do at least one thing - pop the colors - naturally.

I would agree with Harley and others that perhaps bumping up the contrast in the clouds for some extra definition could be good.

Enjoying your collection from Iceland!

Lon

these images are awesome! definitely expansive and beautiful.
I boosted the contrast of the entire image and cooled the colors and brought out the sky.

1 Like

Thanks, Stuart. I’ll play with contrast a bit more.
ML

Keep in mind I was just giving you an example of some changes but not necessarily suggesting that they are better or worse. I think your level of contrast in the image was very natural appearing.

1 Like

Hi Marylynne. My main suggestion is to take me with you next trip to Iceland and I will be your personal consultant, baggage boy, personal slave, whatever. Other than that, I don’t have anything that hasn’t already been covered by Harley (CCW rotation) and by Thorsten. I really like the cloning of the flowers to cover the brown area, even though I seldom disagree with Igor’s thoughts, I do on that one. My vote definitely goes to the revised version of # 2. Beautiful take on it.

1 Like