Last Light

Vacations at last for me, and with a new lens while at it, the Fujinon XF 70-300. I bought this lens to allow me to get the intimate little scenes I like, even when I’m in front of grant vistas. This is the case here, the image is shot at 300mm. It captures light late in the day, as it peers throughout storm clouds, and illuminates patches of ground on a mountain range in Mt. Tymfi, Epirus, Northern Greece. The light was changing all the time as the clouds morphed, so had a bunch of photos to choose from, and I eventually considered this the keeper. This fleeting light lasted on for 1 minute or so.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm X-T4
Fujinon XF 70-300 @F9/300mm.
Edited to taste with Lightroom.

2 Likes

You captured some beautiful storm light here, Nikos. It definitely sets the table for the wonderful mood in this scene. I particularly like the way it illuminates the two edges of the ridgelines. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

Nikos, you have some wonderful storm light here. And the composition is relatively simple, while still being dynamic with some great diagonal lines. The processing of luminosity and contrast looks great to me, I love those spotlit peaks. Color can be a pretty subjective thing, but to my eye there is a very subtle green color cast here, especially noticeable in the sky. I hope you don’t mind, but I did a rework slightly reducing green overall to see how it looks. I think it helps the sky, maybe not as much in the landscape. Again, it’s subjective.

1 Like

Very nice, Nikos. Glad to get a look at some mountain ridge-lines from Greece. I like the intimacy and of course the fleeting light. Could not put my finger on why the sky looked a little off. But I think @Ed_McGuirk’s subtle rework is right on. Thanks for posting this one.

2 Likes

@Ed_McGuirk I was also thinking that the sky was a bit strange/unnatural, could not figure out exactly what it was. I think your version with the reduced greens works quite well, the sky now looks more natural. Thank you for nailing it, and putting in the effort. That’s why I am here in this community :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Stanton, you are welcome glad you liked it :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback, @Ed_Lowe

This is a great image with its layers, diagonals and great light.

1 Like

Thank you @Ola_Jovall , glad you liked it !