Last Look Back

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Feel free to provide any technical feedback.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Feel free to provide any artistic feedback.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D750 and Tamron 15-30 f/2.8
Main image-
15mm
F/8
1/4 sec
ISO 50
4 stop ND

Shot for highest of highlights- hand blended with Lumenzia.
Same except:
F/13
1/8 sec

50% scaled .jpg

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

@OregonSandRat

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Thatā€™s magnificent how the sun rays light up the far wall, and the waterfall and stream are a lovely underpinning. Very nice. I do wish the bottom left corner held more interest, but I donā€™t see how you could have kept all the good stuff above without including it. Nice job leaving it darker so it doesnā€™t distract from the show above.

1 Like

Thanks, John!

I tried a few similar comps here. Ideally I was trying to get the falls closer to the 1/3 line of the frameā€¦ One was slightly lower and a few feet closer to the stream. The biggest issue I found doing that was it put the steam exit in an odd place or cut too much of the light out. Iā€™m sure with a little more time, I couldā€™ve figured out a way to get it. Thank you making the effort to look it over and provide good input.

This is great! My only suggestion would be to burn the rock wall in the upper right hand corner (while keeping the trees in front bright). I think thatā€™d direct the focus even more to the waterfall/river/lit trees.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, Brent!

Iā€™d not even thought of thatā€¦ Iā€™ll try it out and see what itā€™s like. Just to make sure Iā€™m understanding youā€¦ The upper right where itā€™s bright and the round portion protrudes from the wall?

1 Like

Josh,

I recall you using the term ā€œamateurā€ in a previous post. Iā€™m here to tell you that Iā€™m pretty sure you can stop referring to yourself as suchā€¦ :shushing_face: :smiley: This is a finely crafted composition and I think processed beautifully.

The flow from the falls, thru the frame and including the wonderful light rays thru the mist just make for a wonderful flow. The rocky riverbed on the left and trees and mossy rock on the right complete the framing of the scene.

No nit picks really, although a couple of small suggestions that are just tweaks. Very, very minor, but if it were mine I would tone down the surface of the rock face along the lower left edge. Not a biggie, but I think because itā€™s on the edge it draws the eye a little.

I would also agree with Brent in burning down the rock wall area on the right. Itā€™s not overexposed by any stretch, but I would treat it like creating a slight vignette just to help keep the eye in the frame. And just limited by personal choiceā€¦ you have some leeway to perhaps play with color/saturation of the mossy greens on the right as well. Not necessary, especially given the direction of light, etc., but just a thought.

This is quite wonderful as presented btw. Excellent.

Lon

1 Like

A very fine image, Josh. I think opening up the shadow on the LL corner will make the transition nicer and I agree with Brent about burning (just a little) on the UR corner area.

2 Likes

Wowā€¦ Thanks, Lon! Made my weekend.

I hoping to have a little time tomorrow to play around with your suggestions.

Thank you for the good info!

1 Like

Thank you, Adhika!

Iā€™ll play around with that transition and the upper right, too.

Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback!

I went back in and did some minor tweaks based on all the feedback. I also did a few more small adjustments and like it better.

Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

The light sure is beautiful ā€” both as it goes through the mist, but also as it strikes the river. The image has a really nice cinematic and almost painterly feel to it. I do wish that the waterfall wasnā€™t so close to the edge of the frame. My instinct tells me that if you would have taken a step to the right, it would have brought the river and the waterfall more in line, then you could have shifted the camera a bit to the left to give that side a bit more room. I donā€™t know what kind of other distractions you were working with though, but that is whatā€™s going through my mind when I look at this beautiful scene.

2 Likes

Lovely, really well done. The shadowed area tales up a significant portion of the image, Yet it holds itā€™s own very nicely. For me, the middle sun drenched tree is the central point of focus.

1 Like

Really nice image Josh, with very dynamic light. To echo Lons point, this image has a nice composition and great light, nothing amateur about this. Technically, most of us here at the NPN landscape critique forum are ā€œamateursā€, but we are all interested in improving our work, and helping others to improve theirs. You have received some comments about doing some localized dodging and burning to balance the light out in this image. Itā€™s the small, subtle touches like those that are often the difference between good and great images. You have a strong foundation in the composition and light here. with some of the tweaks discussed you can take this up another notch.

1 Like

Thank you, Benā€¦ I really tried to get it over. Unfortunately there was no more right steps to take, I was about ten feet up on a boulder pile right at the edge of the stream. It was a sketchy scenario for my cameraā€¦ Had to keep one hand on the camera at all times. :joy:

I was going through Instagram earlier and your profile came up. You have some really nice stuff and I see weā€™re both 4Runner guys.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree about that treeā€¦ I think the sun does, too. I spent some time burning the area around it to bring it out.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback!

Thank you, Edā€¦ Some really knowledgeable and friendly folks in here. Glad I found this place.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my pic and give me some pointers.

Great composition and great light here. Have you considered using a polarising filter? Mine stays on my lens almost perminantly when Iā€™m in the bush. Using one here would really take the reflections off the rocks on the left and emphasize the greens and yellows of the right.

1 Like

I do use one on my other lens, but with this Tamron the options are limited. I have the filter holder, but youā€™re right, I should bite the bullet and get one.

Perfect PNW waterfall scene. The light leads my eye through the image. The dappling of light on the flow and winter tree work beautifully.