Last stream shot for a while...I PROMISE!

This is the last image I took in May at GSMNP from Roaring Fork. It’s my 5th composition and I saved it for last as I felt it was going to be the most difficult to pull off. I’m not sure I have done so despite my efforts. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

Mostly interested in whether the composition “works”. You will know as soon as you pull up the full size image. Please let me know your thoughts.

Secondarily, if it does work, are there changes to processing you would recommend? I tried to decrease the highly varied luminance in the background streams to mitigate the cluttered feel, but I’m not sure it works.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
18mm, f/11, varied shutter speeds to optimize water flow and blended in. Focus stacked 3 other images for sharpness of the FG/MG/BG.

jim_mcgovern_photography
1 Like

The composition works very nicely for me, Jim. The greens are lovely and I am very much enjoying that cascade over the rock in the FG. I do have a couple of suggestions. The overall scene feels a little dark to me so I brought up the shadows and midtones just a little; I also cropped off the tree in the URC as it bothers me a little. These are just my opinions of course. Here is a repost with what I was thinking. I also like that light in the BG as it helps pull me through the image. It looks like you had a very productive trip.
GSMNP_134_May-17,-2021_CCBlndLum-2

2 Likes

Jim, you nailed the shutter speed on the water, and the green colors (they are fantastic). I like the glowing foliage in the background, having the darker trees on the “island” to break up the glow is nice, because the glow might be overwhelming if that island wasn’t there.

In terms of processing, I agree with @Ed_Lowe that you should lift the midtones and darker tones, there is some detail in the rocks that gets lost in the darker version. In terms of composition, I just think the two upper corners are too dark, and thus have too much visual weight. You need some nearby dark areas to define the glow, but I think Ed’s luminosity in the upper corners of his rework is enough to do the job. I struggle with the symmetry of the upper half of the image, and normally I’m a big fan of symmetry. The two trees in the upper corners kind of make me ping pong back and forth, and I gloss over the center of the image. One solution is what Ed Lowe did, cropping one away.

As @Ed_McGuirk states, there is a beautiful glow in the upper half of the image. I find the white of the lower water to be distracting. When eliminated the magic of the light shows off better. Regarding the darkness, I feel it’s up to you to use it to the feeling you want to convey. I like it either way but if you raise it too much some of the magic is gone. But I do like the proposed rework.

This is a really great image! It works very well. Sorry it is the last one for now, I would appreciated more of these images.

I agree with @Ed_Lowe regarding the shadows. The light in the BG is of course very important for the image, but for me it would anyhow be a possibility to reduce a tad the brightness/vibrance. This for the BG not to take up to much of the attention.

And since I do not know the place, I took the freedom to flip the image:)

2 Likes

Jim, 5 compositions… gosh, what a productive trip. I think this is very wonderful because I do enjoy the rock wedge in the FG. I think Ed’s crop solves the imbalance that I feel ever so slightly in the image but I am surprised that Ola’s flip, even though full-frame, solves the problem, too.

Jim,
I’m not sure why you feel this doesn’t work. I think you have a great image that’s full of mood and character. The background glow and that foreground rock are two critical pieces to this composition and they both work to bring the eye through the center of the scene. I agree with @Igor_Doncov that both the darker version and the lighter version both work. It just depends on the what type of mood you’re trying to convey. I have to say that I really lie what @Ola_Jovall did in flipping the scene. That works well for me and as @Adhika_Lie said, it mostly solves the issue of the darker trees in the upper corners.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe …I really like your crop and the visual weight of the tree you excluded helps the image breathe better. Nicely done!

@Ed_McGuirk - thanks for your perspective. I had already lifted the shadows feeling I had let the pendulum swing too dark but see I need to do still more.

@Igor_Doncov - good point. Perhaps the better shot was actually a telephoto of the BG. I’ll have to keep that in mind when I head back.

@Ola_Jovall - oh my gosh. Your flipping this image led to the most impressive change in my opinion! I’m so glad you did this. The “flow” is much better now! THanks so much!

Thanks @Ed_Lowe …I really like your crop and the visual weight of the tree you excluded helps the image breathe better. Nicely done!

@Ed_McGuirk - thanks for your perspective. I had already lifted the shadows feeling I had let the pendulum swing too dark but see I need to do still more.

@Igor_Doncov - good point. Perhaps the better shot was actually a telephoto of the BG. I’ll have to keep that in mind when I head back.

@Ola_Jovall - oh my gosh. Your flipping this image led to the most impressive change in my opinion! I’m so glad you did this. The “flow” is much better now! THanks so much!

@Adhika_Lie …I guess you’re right. And to think I was disappointed b/c my macro shots were lame!

@David_Haynes…I guess I was a bit pre-occupied with the clutter upstream. Seems like that wasn’t a point of concern for these viewers. You know how we can go down rabbit holes on processing!