Late Fall on the Upper Sac + Rework

I just read Ed’s remark of how he avoided the scum in the water in the image of backlit trees. In my case it was the ‘scum’ that attracted me. I saw this scene a few days prior to making this shot and was fascinated by all the minute detail in it. And yet the color palette was pretty. The leaves were floating on the surface but the light was stronger on one side than the other due to direct light. I came back on a day that was overcast and the surface of the water was frozen. You can’t tell from this image because the ice was translucent.

Composition choices were limited because of the brambles you had to fight through to get to the water and once you reached it there were branches along the bank barring your way. A tight situation.

Let me know how this grabs you.

GFX50R, 45-100mm lens, iso 100. focus stacked.

Rework:

Original:

1 Like

Igor, this is a nice, quiet late fall/early winter scene. The stationary mass of leaves on the water is a major element. It’s hard to tell that there’s ice on the stream, even in the large view, where careful viewing of the reflections shows that there’s a mixture of ice and open water. Looks like a fine place for a quiet, reflective visit.

Igor,
You have an eye for capturing these understated and quiet scenes so well. The subdued color palette works perfectly here. Even viewing the large version I can not discern the ice. My only suggestion would be to clone out the lone bramble sticking up toward the LLC as it catches my eye a little. Minor stuff though as I am enjoying this meditative image.

Well, I missed this one - right from my backyard. The upper Sac can have lovely scum and colorful leaves in the late fall. I agree with Ed about that reddish blackberry vine sticking straight up from the LLC. Berry vines are the bane of my photography, mainly because their color usually doesn’t go with the native plants.

Yes this one went largely unnoticed.

I reworked this because last night I thought it was darker than it should be. I’m curious if this is an improvement. To be honest I thought the original was unnecessarily glum.

Igor, The reworked image really does it for me. You were limited but still came away with a very nice composition. I 'm especially enjoying the fine detail and wonderful colors this has. I enjoy images like this one more and more all the time and you capture and process them beautifully.

1 Like