Latourna in Black and White

Photographed in Portland, Oregon a few weeks back - honestly I am looking for a decent B/W for my club competition
I am a fan of water in slow motion

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Being a fan of water in slow motion, I keep playing with shutter speeds to convey the falling water as well as that sense of peace

Technical Details

Karl, this is a beautiful small scene. I like the contrast between the rocky detail on either side of the falls and the smooth water at the base bouncing off the rocks.

Karl, you have certainly captured the essence of this waterfall, one of my favorites in the Gorge. B&W works well to set off the Basalt against the water. Shutter speed looks great. And your processing really makes this jump out. Awesome all the way around. I think it’s a worthy candidate for club competition.

Incidentally, the name of the fall is Latourell Falls, named for Joseph “Frenchy” Latourell who immigrated to Oregon in the 1850s. The town of Latourell is also named after him and was once a working timber town.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

I like it. The soft water against the rock structure. Good B&W conversion too. However, I would have turned the camera to portrait to capture the top of the falls or at least emphasize the direction of the water.

Karl,

I LOVE this! B&W great choice to start. I appreciate you taking the obvious vertical subject and making an excellent horizontal presentation. this just feels perfectly balanced to me.

One thing that strikes me is the bg rock, especially in the UR. I’m no geologist, but patterns to the right of the fall look to be like basalt or something, but geology is not my point, but I also get the distinct impression that it’s bark on a tree? Could I be misreading this?

I’m just thuroughly enjoying this; all the details of the rock and how you’ve framed this.

Excellent! No suggestions at all.

Lon

Thank you @Lon_Overacker

It is basalt - the white on the rocks is actually green moss

1 Like

Thanks @Richard_Duckworth , @David_Bostock , @jaapv and @Lon_Overacker

I stand corrected re the name - was in a hurry to post before work :slight_smile:
I have photographed this both, vertical and landscape, but the landscape version speaks out more to me emotionally. The vertical version has more water whilst this provides more contrast of the water on the bassalt - a personal choice I suppose