Laughing Gulls at Bean Point

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcomed

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcomed

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Removed one gull to get odd number . Added border space on left…“scaled” 2 birds out of right border to clean it up.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

What a lovely shot. I really like the nice spacing of gulls with no overlaps. Gulls at about a third and horizon at about a third. A real dandy of a shot. Personal preference but I might warm up the already warm light and desaturate the blues a bit just to see what it looked like. Interesting comment about the odd number. I have read about odd numbers as a preference but have not heard it specifically mentioned.
It looks like the most left bird is moving and others may have been fidgeting but I wonder if you had considered a slow ss to blur water a bit.
Very nice presentation also.

I like this, Doug. A beautiful setting and the gulls add nicely to it. If I changed anything, it would be to take a bit of the long foreground off the bottom (maybe a touch above the top of your logo).

I like the composition and setting. I like it as presented, but could also see cropping the blue sky off.

What a beautiful scene. I like the comp. as-is, but I could also see removing some along the bottom, as Dennis suggested. Only other suggestion for improvement would be to try and get every bird making eye contact with you.

Interesting you bring up the odd number issue. I think Galen Rowell wrote about that in one of his books. I have experimented while shooting landscapes by including even and odd numbered trees. The odd numbered comps. were always more pleasing, especially when there are three.