Laurelin the Golden

This particular beech tree caught my eye immediately, because it seemed to be radiating in glorious fall colors. The rising sun was casting a strong spotilight on it, so the tree really popped off the dark background. I worked this scene for quite some time, trying our different angles until I finally settled for this composition. This way, the gnarly shape of the tree complements the slope it stands on, as it gently leans towards the bottom left corner of the frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition, color and contrast was my main focus when working this image, but every feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7 III with Tamron 28-75mm G2 at 39mm + CPL
ISO 100, f / 14, 1/8 sec
I didn’t do a lot of editing on this image, just some minor contrast and color adjustments, dodging and burning and adding a subtle Orton Effect.

3 Likes

Martin

Hello again!

The processing looks good to me! Colors and contrast are working with the light present at the time of capture. The colors aren’t over-saturated, and you have nice color separation as well. I would clone that branch out in the immediate foreground, as it seems out of place to my eye. Nothing more to add here. Nice one.

DT

1 Like

Thank you again @David_Thompson. After finishing an edit I always come back to the image to tweak things. In this case I wasn’t sure if I overdid it with color saturation in the end. Glad to hear your opinion on it :+1: Cloning out the branch in the foreground makes perfect sense. Could have done it in person even :grin: