Leaning Tulips + Repost

I don’t do much monochrome work, but these white tulips seemed to be appropriate for it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I admit that I really don’t know how to post-process monochrome images very well. I used Lightroom for this. I do have Silver Efex Pro 2, but I rarely use it. Is Silver Efex a better way to go?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Was this a good choice for a monochrome treatment? (More generally, what constitutes a good candidate for monochrome?)

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with a Nikon DSLR at 66mm, 1/125 sec., f/8, ISO 100. Post-processing in Lightroom, with just basic adjustments to exposure, highlights/shadows, clarity, etc.

When I choose to convert to b&w I use the formula - lines, textures and tonal range. Because of the mass of tulips and lack of darker tones I probably would not have chosen this for b&w. Would love to see it in color for comparison or another version with only a few tulips. Great subject to experiment with.

1 Like

Mark, this does a good job of conveying that there’s a massive grouping of these tulips. This has me thinking of a crowd shot at a concert, with the way that all the flowers are leaning to the left. This also has a nice touch of a high-key look. It would be interesting to see what more contrast in the darker tones would do in terms of possibly adding interest to the lip regions.

1 Like

Thanks Patricia and Mark! I appreciate the feedback. I’ve re-addressed the image based on your comments.

Patricia, here’s the original color image, as well as a cropped version in monochrome:

Mark, here’s a version with more contrast in the darker tones:

I hope I’m not violating a site guideline by posting 3 follow-up images. (Please let me know if so.)

All three follow up images are significant improvements over the original for my taste, Mark. I think the cropped b&w is my favorite. A much simpler and cleaner composition that gets rid of most of the extraneous background clutter while keeping the feel of the tulips from the original.

Thanks Dennis. I think I like the cropped B&W version too.

Mark: I was travelling for a couple weeks so I’m late to this party but I agree with Dennis regarding preferring the cropped version. BTW, there’s no problem with posting comparative shots. I’ll edit your title to reflect that there are reposts. Its always a good idea to let others know that you’ve reworked an image. >=))>

1 Like