Least Sandpiper - Mucking About

These tiny little birds routinely show up during an incoming tide and they never seem to be very concerned about a giant human sitting on the beach in close proximity. The problem is that even the smallest of plants are like trees to them and pebbles are boulders which can make it difficult to get clean shots.

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 430 mm, ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/2000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@garyminish

1 Like

Nice job getting it clear of the vegetation, Gary. The bird is tack sharp and I like the lifted leg.

I agree with Dennis, I love the lifting of the foot, and how the water and vegetation is clinging to that foot. Wonderful details in him, Gary. Excellent capture.

Hi Gary
I think you have a Pectoral Sandpiper here. You did a good job gettin around the plants. The low angle, lighting, detail and color are spot on. Nice work.
Peter

Peter; these little guys are way too small to be Pectoral Sandpiers. They’re smaller than the tree swallows that were in the same area and probably a maximum of 3 1/2" tall at the top of their head! There was a whole flock of them so I know they weren’t juveniles of a larger breed.

Hi Gary
Thank you for the information, I went through two birding books (Pectoral Sandpiper) was the closes bird Id I could come up with.
Peter