Lightning

First attempt of clicking lightning
Canon 80, 10-18 mm @ 10 mm
F 4.5, ISO 125, SS 30 secs

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.!

jitinbhatt_wildlife_momentsimage|690x460

Hi Jitin!
Boy do I know the feeling of getting those elusive lightning strikes. This is a fantastic capture!

However (always a ‘however’, right?) the bright streetlight on the lower right (and the lower left) is drawing my eye even more if that’s possible. Maybe see if you can clone that out, or replace it with a previous shot where it’s not so strong?

Also, try and straighten the building out on the right too. I know there are ways of ‘stretching’ the image in Photoshop to make the buildings more upright.

But this lightning is awesome. After you get used to shooting lighting, you’ll know to try and find a compelling composition rather then just the lightning, which you seem to have done here. Mine are in a flat field and hold no other interest than the lightning. Well done!

Good luck!

1 Like