Lily Pads in Space (edited)

I went back to the drawing board based on @Igor_Doncov’s, @Adhika_Lie’s, and @Ed_McGuirk’s comments. Thank you, gentlemen. I wasn’t wedded to the square format, but really liked the line of lily pads coming into the frame, so I went with a larger crop. Adjusted the hue of the tree reflections, to make them more of the same shade as the lily pad greens, as in Igor’s version. Warped to fix the corner, and added a vignette.

This is cropped from a scene that included more of the trees. My idea was to show the lily pads against the tree reflections because that looked rather surreal to me. After much reflection (ha ha), I started thinking that there was too much going on with the larger scene, so I cropped it. I’ll put the larger scene in the comments.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Too busy? Show more of of the scene?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, Sony a7, 24-105mm @48mm, f/16, 1/80s, ISO 800, hand held

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Original; LLC needs some more fixing. Looks odd to me.

Bonnie, I particularly like the top of the tree line and the clouds and sky at the very bottom. If I were to crop this I would include all of that lacy bottom.

Color is a personal choice. Sometimes more is good and sometimes not so good. I would add a bit more color but not so much as to change your message. I would also raise the shadows just a smidgeon. I see this as a delicate composition, at least near the bottom, and would process it thusly.

Here’s my stab at it (needs more work):

I like this very much.

1 Like

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov. Your crop is nice. The original did have more color in the tree reflections, and I desaturated and darkened them a bit so they wouldn’t compete with the lily pads. Your version definitely has a cheerier mood. It’s so interesting how our personalities come out with these sorts of decisions (I don’t think I’m a gloomy person, but I do tend to the darker look).

Bonnie, I also like this very much. I also like Igor’s crop even though I am not a fan of the small triangle of sky on the lower left corner. I think you can easily warp it to eliminate that part. This is gorgeous by all accounts.

Bonny, I like the title, it’s perfect for the abstract, almost surreal look of this image. I very much like what @Igor_Doncov has done, his rework simplifies the composition, and IMO it distills it down to the most important elements within the scene. And I think he is right about adding more color here. I could even see adding a stronger vignette to Igor’s crop to draw attention to the center of the image.

Thanks, @Adhika_Lie, especially for the reminder about warping. I’ve only recently learned about that, and it hadn’t occurred to me to do that to fix that corner.

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk for your suggestions.

Will post a re-edit.

Bonnie, this edit wins it for me. Very very well done!

Bonnie the square view, which I’m assuming was your original post, does a good job of setting up the lily pads as the main focus even as it includes the reflections for extra interest. The original (3rd pic.) has lots of interesting elements with the line of pads at the top, the bit of ground reflecting and the skyline at the bottom. The topmost view, works very well. To me, it tells a different story from your initial post, one where the pads and the reflections have equal importance.

Bonnie,

I’ve come back to this a number of times and am having trouble formulating a critique. I guess that tells me that I’m torn with this. I like what Igor did with the pond/reflection, but think the greens are to limey. But I like that some color has been introduced in the sky/reflection - ie the blues.

I like your original composition and also like the line of lily pads leading in to the frame.

I think ultimately I’m torn between the lily pads and the almost dominance of the tree reflections; two ideas competing against each other. I’m just not sure how to help with that in post. I think perhaps even a drop in exposure in your original (top image) works best.

Lon