Little Blue Heron being chased by Grackle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I just returned from a trip to a couple of rookeries in Louisiana. One afternoon there was quite a squabble over who would own this crayfish. The grackle chased the Little Blue Heron (juvenile) all over the rookery. I’m not sure who ended up with the prize.

Specific Feedback

I decided on a 12x16 crop given the position of the birds in the frame. Any thoughts on the crop or anything else would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, hand held

Hi Allen
What a challenge, Hot whites and deep blacks in full sun. Very impressed with both your skills and the Canon R7.
Peter

Like @Peter said, you nailed a very difficult exposure to be sure…Awesome image.

That has to be the definition of a difficult exposure, Allen, and it looks like you were right on. Out of curiosity what’s your exposure technique for this kind of shot? I usually set up to just avoid blowing the whites and shoot in manual, but would be curious if you had a different method.

A great interaction image, and it wouldn’t say anything without the prey in the beak of the heron.

Hi Dennis, I do the same. All manual: ISO, shutter speed, aperture so I’m always exposed correctly for the subject given it’s in constant light. I have a few “go to” settings for certain situations. The settings for this shot is what I use for white birds in pretty full sun to capture action such as in flight. I use blinkies to test correct exposure and adjust if needed.

Thank you for the comment.