Little Stint

When I was shooting Dunlins last week, to my joy I suddenly noticed five Little Stints as well. This species only visits our country during migration (some 1-500 only every year), and until now I had only seen them amidst large groups of other waders, and usually far away. So, I was happy to spend some time shooting with them. The birds that pass now are mainly juvenile birds, as is this one. In the back is a Dunlin probing in the sand. Thanks for any comments, Cheers, Hans

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/200s | f/5 | ISO360 | overexposed 1FS | camera on skimmer plate, me in the water (a bit cold, but doable :wink: ). In postprocessing I lightened the shadows somewhat.

1 Like

Very pleasing behavioral shot with excellent detail and POV. We had at least a hundred sandpiper species flying back and forth yesterday, Looks like fall migrational patterns are beginning here in the Pacific Northwest.

1 Like

Very good, Hans. I love the Stint. I think you might try reducing the saturation on the Dunlin. With the angle it’s at, the dark patch on the head tends to pull my eye away from the Stint a bit more than I’d like.

1 Like

Hi Hans
I think we will have to take up a collection and buy you a new drysuit, if you are going to continue to play in the water. At any rate I hope you stay dry and worm, because these low angle photographs are amazing. I love the framing and the Dunlin exposure level works for me.
Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Oh Hans! This is so good! The little stint would be wonderful without the Dunlin in the background. The low, and uncomfortable POV has worked a treat for this image. The limited colour palette is also very nice.

I agree with Dennis on perhaps reducing the saturation of the Dunlin. It is a bit eye-catching.

1 Like

Hello, Glenys, thanks - of course I have many shots of the Little Stint all alone, but for me the 2nd bird makes it more interesting than just one-bird-shot :wink: … But, I may post another one of the bird alone :wink: … Cheers, Hans

Thanks for your comment and I will try with the desaturation of the 2nd bird ! Cheers, Hans

Wonderful detail on the Stint and the Dunlin is such a nice touch. The subtle reflections of both and the soft details in the water are wonderful! This was worth getting wet!

I wonder about a tiny bit more room on the left…

1 Like