Living in the Wind, Pacheco Pass

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I love this Irene! It captures the best of the foothills with that great light. Only thing missing would be a tiny splash of light somewhere on the tree, but I can live without it.

Thanks for posting, Irene. I love this image. The light and texture are soft as velvet.

Irene,

This is excellent! Without any info, I immediately thought to myself, California hills… (and can only guess after seeing this, by viewing your profile! oh, and duh, your title - but only someone in CA would know Pacheco Pass…)

Honestly, that’s not the most stately or beautiful tree, and in fact I can’t say I’ve even seen one like that in the coastal or interior hills. But that’s ok! It’s not about the tree per se, but the contrast between that and the soft, dappled light and colors of the hills and stormy sky. And just as importantly this tells the story I think you’re after - and that is “living in the wind…” very appropriate and this image shows that off well.

I also like your overall natural and tamed processing. I could do without the dirt, but I think you did very well in using it to your advantage with the strong composition.

Lon

Outstanding image. Pacheco Pass??? I would never have thought that type of tree lives there. I agree if there was a little splash of light on the tree, a pine if I’m not in error, would have have put this photo in an entirely different category. The composition is great and I love the lean in the tree.

Irene, overall this is a very pleasing image. The composition is good, and I just love the lean in that tree. Like Lon, I think the understated approach to color and saturation is very effective here. I think a slight bump in mid-tone contrast would benefit the sky and sunlit portion of the hills.

Great composition Irene!

I feel like if you bring out the light shining on the mountain with some dodging and burning and darken the dirt layer with a bottom half vignette, it could really emphasize the great light on the mountain juxtaposed with the leaning tree.

I really like the shot regardless.

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone. I am sorry for huge delay in response. I was in the middle of retiring from my job and disappeared into that. Plan to be more active now. This is a great group.
best, Irene

Stunning image. I don’t know how I missed it. There’s a surrealistic feel to it.

Welcome back, Irene. I wasn’t active when you first posted this, but this is an incredible image. I love the lighting, the clouds, the hills, and most importantly, that crazy leaning tree. Very cool.