Looks okay to me, honey, what do you think?

Image Description

Bluebirds are out and seem to be checking out the nest boxes for future homes.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I think this tells a story. Compositionally, it might have looked better with the photos reversed, but we read left to right and the wife does have the final say!

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; both at 1/1000, f7.1, +2/3 EV; ISO 640

A story indeed, Allen and a good one at that. For me, yes, it does read as naturally occurring event. Spring is here and the birds are searching for the perfect place. Definitely a happy story.

1 Like

Allen, this does tell a nice story. I enjoy watching the couple checking it out and deciding together if this is where they want to raise their family. The BG is nicely oof making the birds and the nest box stand out nicely. The order you have them works for me. I have been seeing our bluebirds checking out our nest box too. Hopefully they will choose to raise their family there. I see the nest box has holes drilled in for ventilation. I just did that this year because it got so hot last year that they were unable to stay and raise their family. I put more holes than what is showing on the nest box in your photo, but I wasn’t even sure if one should do that, so I am feeling better about it.

1 Like

This does tell a good story, Allen, particularly with the title. I understand the desire to put the female’s inspection second as she does make the decision, but I waver on whether it might be more aesthetically pleasing to swap the images. In balance, I think it’s just a flip of the coin. I’d probably swap them, but this arrangement certainly works well. Technically the images are fine. Nicely done.

Thanks @linda_mellor , @Shirley_Freeman , and @Dennis_Plank for your thoughts. Flipping the images would have the birds on top looking into the frame, which is probably better, but would tell a different story, so yeah, a flip of the coin. Dennis, haven’t seen you in the avian gallery for a while. Nor David, come to think of it. Hope all is well.

2 Likes

@Allen_Brooks It’s been a busy late winter and I haven’t been doing a lot of bird photography. I just finished delivering 50 Purple Martin boxes for some local preserves, so I’ll be having more time to get out.

1 Like

Allen, wonderful set of pics. I think the title is terrific too? I can think of many times I’ve said that very thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure if the David you were referring to is me not being around the Avian forum, but if so, I’ve been going back through my Avian shots for the last 6 months, paying very special attention to the white balance/color balance. I’ve posted too many images that I’ve had to go back and color correct due to a color cast. I think I’ve found the solution for me…hope to be back posting soon.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, @David_Bostock . Actually, I was referring to David Schoen who I haven’t seen posting for a while. I feel you’ve been a steady contributor to NPN. Glad you’re getting into Avian.

1 Like