Lunch in the flowers

Another good way to photograph dragonflies is when they’re eating. I spied this Cobra clubtail with a crane fly when I was waiting for the hummingbird to show up on my pink flower bush. It took a few minutes, but everything was gone when it was done - well except for the wings and the legs. Tough I guess.

Specific Feedback Requested

The light wasn’t the best - bright behind and shaded on the dragon…does it look too weird? It was the best of the bunch since the prey shows up pretty well. Getting a view through intervening flowers was a challenge.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica 100-400 f/4-6.3 @400mm (800mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/500 sec | ISO 200
Tripod

Lr processed for crop and some brush work on the body to bring up the shadows. Reduced saturation in the flowers, too. Overall exposure adjustment, white & black points, sharpening etc.

@the.wire.smith

You are so right, Kris, catching them eating makes for an interesting shot, as this one certainly is. I like that you caught him on a flower. The lighting was harsh, it looks like, but I think you managed it very well. The moment doesn’t always avail itself to perfect lighting, or even a perfect setting, but I’m glad you caught the moment. The brighter background makes him stand out nicely, and the curved oof leaf frames him nicely as well. Great shot, in my opinion.

1 Like

Nice one Kris. It really does show off the lunching dragon fly and meal. I am surprised by the dof and amount of detail you got with a long lens. A minor suggestion you might consider would be to reduce the sharpening effect on the vegetation around the dragonfly.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I will take a look at the sharpening & see if I can fix that, David. Make it less of an eye-magnet.

And yeah, they just won’t pose where I want them!!