Lunker Lurking

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I was sitting quietly by this pond in early spring, enjoying the sun. The water was clear enough that several Large-mouth Bass could be seen lurking among the Spatterdock leaves. Because the fish were underwater, they don’t photograph with good sharpness. The surface ripples from the breeze added a similar lack of sharpness to the surface as well as adding reflections from the trees and sky, so the surface and the fish blended well. The blue ripple was a serendipitous addition. By eye, this fish was about 15 inches (27 cm) long. (R5, 100-500 @ 400, 1/200 s, f/11, tripod)

1 Like

Initial response: Why the title? I was so focused on the strange looking thing and the blue ring that I didn’t see the fish until I enlarged the photo. Wonderful shot; wouldn’t change a thing.

This is pretty cool and the title is perfect =) the blue ring is a nice touch!

Mark,

Very cool indeed. Optical illusion? my first thought. The lily? stem looks like it’s “beaming” to or from the blue ring - like an alien abduction or something; there’s a 3-D effect to my eye, hence the optical illusion reference.

Didn’t notice the fish until reading the description. Makes it even more cool! - And an even more impressive capture.

Lon

This is great Mark. Like the others, I didn’t notice the fish at first. I was focused on that blue light and the lily pad. Pretty cool elements in the image!