Lupine Detail

I used a telephoto macro lens to extract this intimate view of a lupine. I was aiming to create a more abstract view of the lupine instead of a flower portrait. Does this abstract approach work for you? Do the colors look okay to you, being an abstract i went with a little more color saturation than normal for creative effect.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique and comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 180mm Macro Lens , ISO 100, 1/4 sec at f14

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, this is really a fine image as an abstract or as the flower it’s self. As a flower, the background would seem a bit over saturated to me, but you said you were going for abstract, and so that is your creativity at work, and doesn’t not harm the image. If you have the pixels to work with, I’m thinking that the out of focus pedals near the bottom, and even in the back near the bottom, are distracting away from an abstract. The rest of the buds are so tight, and repeated shapes and colors, that those pull the eye away, it seems like to me. Maybe others will share their views. A very pleasing abstract.

Ed,
I am really liking the purple and green color palette in this intimate scene. I always find the lupines fascinating to explore with the array of different colors along with the progression of the bloom. The green BG works just fine for me and it is super clean. My only suggestion would be to clone out or crop those two OOF buds in the LLC as they do draw my eye a little. This is a great find.

Ed: I like this as is but can also see a tighter crop eliminating the lower quarter of the frame and decreasing the amount of BG which IMO would make the subject a bit more mysterious. Well seen and captured. >=))>

This is a really fine abstract. Is abstract the right word though? Are Georgia O’Keefe’s flowers abstracts? Whatever. This looks more like a painting than a photograph.