Lupine Impressions

I used a vertical camera movement during exposure to create this impressionistic take on a field of lupines in New Hampshire. I liked the color contrast between the white and blue lupines.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any or all critique and comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

In camera movement used. Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, ISO 100, 67mm, 1/10 of a second at f11

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Extremely artful take on this scene, Ed. Peaceful and calming effect. Experimentation keeps our minds & eyes open to the possibilities that are surrounding us. Very nicely done…:+1:

Wonderful use of camera movement and just the right amount to create this lovely in camera painting. Love things like this. Nicely done.

Ed: Love the color palette and the final result. :+1::+1::tophat:>=))>

@Bill_Fach @Keith_Bauer @Bill_Fach thank you for your comments on this image, I’m glad that you enjoyed viewing it. I like doing this type of thing just to get something different. Some other non-photographer folks in the lupine field were watching me wildly move the camera around, and I got some very strange looks from them, they must have thought I was crazy.

My keeper batting average on these kind of things is not very high, but it’s a lot of fun trying to come up with something good.

I absolutely love these type of shots. I’ve had more luck with multiple exposures than blurring as was done here. This is very nice, wonderful composition. Great color palette. My only rec would be to burn the brightest foreground white flowers in the bottom R. of the image to better match the luminosity of the other foreground flowers on the left. Great separation of elements. This is a wall hanger for sure.

Ed,

Like most everyone else, I love these types images and techniques as well. The colors here are wonderful.

Now I’m not saying this is the case for you, but for ME, when I end up starting to shoot camera movements, zooms, etc., that usually means I’m pretty tired with the subject at hand. This happens to me shooting aspens in the fall… At some point, it might be time to start experimenting with camera movement with the dogwoods… :roll_eyes::innocent:

Lon

This is really nice, Ed. For my taste, the camera movement was perfect. I like the way you composed it with the white lupines i the foreground and he purple ones in the back.

Playful, fun, artful, colorful take on the lupine scene. Stretches the mind and heart. Love it!

@Dennis_Plank @Lon_Overacker @Jim_McGovern @Patricia_Brundage thank you all for your comments.

Lon said “when I end up starting to shoot camera movements, zooms, etc., that usually means I’m pretty tired with the subject at hand”. To some extent that is the case with me as well, I don’t go looking for this type of shots, but will take them when they present themselves. When you are shooting 2 to 3 foot high lupines and the wind picks up significantly after sunrise, that’s when I turn to doing this ICM type stuff.

Glad you like the image Patricia, I do more of this stuff than you might expect from just seeing my posts in the landscape critique forum.