Luther Burbank Cactus

Description:

Another from the archives, from 2010, reworked with better tonal subtlety. It’s a spineless cactus developed by Luther Burbank and this is a huge specimen growing in the Luther Burbank Home and Garden here in Santa Rosa. I didn’t care for the red/green thing and took major liberties to bend the greens to cyan.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
NO

Canon 5D2, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 at 85, f/9.5, 1/250 at ISO 200. Linear profile in LR with basic tonal corrections. Into PS for some minor cloning, Nik CEP Photo Stylizer and further color tweaking.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I passed over the thumbnail image quite quickly while looking for another post. Something said to go back and have a better look. I opened the image and there it was…in true DM style; elegant, (yet strong), and flawless.

Bending the greens has put the image into a whole other category.

1 Like

Lovely. It’s an image that grows with sustained viewing. I’ll admit that my first impression was less positive, but the statuesque pose is as @glennie said, is elegant.

Namaste

I like very much the strong and well thought-out composition. At first I had some problems with the color shift, but the more I look the more I like it! An idea would be to also have an image with the cactus in the BG sharp. Here you made the opposite choice.

Since I know by now you are a careful colorist, I can only marvel at the blue-green of this cactus species. Contrasted with the strawberry shades in the flower lobes (at least I think that’s what they are, probably not what they’re called). It’s like something out of a sculpture installation. I like the up from under viewpoint.

1 Like

This has an extremely strong, well thought out composition. It creates an dynamic image with a lot of depth. I love the repetition of the lobes sitting on top (in 3 places no less). This is an elegant pose…

1 Like

Hi Diane, I really like the composition of this. The colors are also nice. The light on the cactus is really nice too.

My only nit is that I see a halo around the cactus. It’s most noticeable on the smaller image, not so much on the larger one. In my experience this usually is from too heavy use of shadow/highlight adjustments. I also see this from the Clarity slider as well. It’s most noticeable when the subject background is sky. You might have gotten this from the NIK CEP stylizer too…

I stopped using the shadow and highlight sliders a while and now do local adjustments using various luminosity brushes rather than the global sliders.

This might look pretty cool in B&W too.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thanks @glennie, @Ed_McGuirk, @David_Bostock, @Ola_Jovall, @paul_g_wiegman and @Kris_Smith! I struggled to find a composition with this specimen – it is HUGE, about 8 ft tall and wide. I always manage to miss it flowering but I love the fruit stage. They are the size of pears and edible, but I doubt they have much taste.

I think the halo is probably from all-the-above. I tried to talk myself into it being an artistic touch but agree that it should be fixed, and I will. I do need to explore a B/W. Stand by…

I’ve never seen a steel blue cactus, but doesn’t matter. It’s working nicely. The contrasting colors make a strong impression. Although I wouldn’t exactly call this spineless. Those glochids are every bit as treacherous as bigger spines.