Magical Lands

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything and everything please don’t hold back

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything and everything please don’t hold back

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This is a blend of 11 exposures all shot at the same time and from the same location. Tripod never moved. 9 exposures 3 minutes each to create the trails and 2 exposures with some low level lighting for the foreground then blended in photoshop

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@arefalragehi

3 Likes

Nice star trail image… the Foreground is awesome. I hope you did a traditional star photo with that setting. The lighting is very well done.

1 Like

Aref, welcome ot NPN, this is an outstanding first post !!! If your other images are like this, well I can’t wait to see the rest of them. And don’t feel shy about commenting on images posted by other too, it is a great way to learn, and a good way to get to know the members of our community better too.

This image is very well composed and processed, nice work on your part. I’m sure this was not easy to do technically, but you pulled it off nicely. I think you did an especially good job with the light painting, it’s tasteful and not overdone. I especially like the subtle light on the background rocks in the LRC (lower right corner). For me this small touch adds a lot to my enjoyment of the image. Overall, this is an excellent first post, nice work.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of star trails (or light painting) but this is about as good as it gets. Clearly you’re not a novice at this type of work. Yes, it’s a great image. There is one thing I noticed. There are brown streaks across the night sky. I would think that that would be easy to rectify with Photoshop (or maybe not).

@Ed_McGuirk Thank you very much for the encouragement.
@Igor_Doncov This was actually my first ever star trails image :sweat_smile: Up till that point I was not a fan of star trails and just went about capturing the Milkyway. That night this rock formation was just so nice to let go and when I shined a light on it it gave me goose bumps and since it was facing North i thought why not try it…The brown streaks are clouds I chose to keep them. They are also a pain to remove since these are 10 exposures all together

Very nice, and exceptional for a first try! I hope to see more! The light on the landscape is lovely. If you have a wide-angle enough lens, if you center Polaris in the frame you will get round trails. Then crop afterward for composition.

1 Like

Awesome image! Welcome to NPN. I have never tried night photography, but after seeing this I might try. I look forward to your comments and helpful suggestions as well as many more images. Thanks for posting this.

1 Like

Welcome Aref! I find a well done foreground to be a true challenge, and you’ve done magnificent here. Excellent first image! I look forward to more.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller absolutely…unfortunately this is my widest lens at 20 mm that is all i could fit and i was already in a bit of a ditch looking up at this mound

Thanks @Patricia_Brundage you should definitely try it…it is amazing
I am enjoying NPN more than i thought i would
The learnings i got from the feedback on just two images is great
Thank you for giving some of your time for the success of this forum

It’s not uncommon to see people shoot the light on the landscape then reposition the camera up slightly for the star trails, and combine the two later – it’s all a matter of what your ethics allow.

Either way, I’m looking forward to more of your images!

1 Like