Many Glacier Morning

We had some excellent conditions this past week at Glacier National Park. This was behind us while we were shooting the other direction over Swiftcurrent Creek. This is Swiftcurrent Lake with Mount Gould, Grinnell Point and Mount Wilbur as a backdrop. There was a terrific wind so reflections of this incredible scene weren’t possible unfortunately. I probably would have died of heart failure if there were. :rofl:

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D810 - 20mm f/2.8 @ f/8 - 1/6" - ISO - 125 - Under warm morning light shining from over my shoulder. This is a single exposure.

Processed in LR and finished in PS. Primary contrast and saturation was handled using Multiply blend mode at a reduced opacity. No saturation sliders were moved, but the color was pretty amazing anyway. I finished the final contrast adjustments using a luminosity curves adjustment layer to protect the highlights, primarily in the sky. I added a very fine layer of Ortonish to it to soften the tones a bit and then sharpened it using Smart Sharpen in Photoshop.

I cropped this to a 16:9 ratio to emphasise the horizontal layout of the mountains, and to exclude some of the uninteresting water in the foreground. I balanced the comp toward the sky to include the clouds as well as to exclude the foreground. I cloned out a small but invasive end of a limb that I couldn’t crop out without affecting Mount Wilbur, and that I didn’t notice at the time that I was taking the photo, on the right side.

But after it all I probably could live quite well with this photo raw and straight out of the camera. :wink:

3 Likes

Beautiful light and color, Gary. It definitely looks breezy.
-P

1 Like

Breezy is a bit of an understatement Preston. :rofl: Enough that I had to shelter my camera from the buffeting and threat of tipping over. :smiley: And I have a big RRS TVC 33.

But all of that was easily disregarded while this amazing light was happening. :smiley:

Thank you Preston.

I really like the rendition of the warm colors. For some reason I think of Tahiti when I look at this image (or Bali Hai). Isn’t that silly?

1 Like

Not silly at all @Igor_Doncov :slight_smile: I can see that.