Marooned On A Bloom

A rock formation that looks a bit like a beached U-Boat as a backdrop to a large Hedgehog Cactus on display in the foreground.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Wista DXIII 4x5 - 300mm lens - Velvia 50

3 Likes

Beautiful cactus beautifully presented. Interesting contrast between the cactus of a harsh environment and the grasses above. Looks great, Paul.

Paul, you are a master of desert compositions. I love this a lot.

@Paul_Breitkreuz , the backdrop does remind me of a conning tower to a submarine. These boulders give the cacti a nice contrasting background. I also like the radiating yellow-green spines just behind the conning tower. These seem to replicate the radiating spines of the foreground cacti. Beautiful!

Paul, the mix of cacti and big rock is excellent. The small bits of green really set off the rocks and cacti very well. The subtle reds in the rock fit very well with the cacti blooms.

@Harley_Goldman @Adhika_Lie @Mark_Muller @Mark_Seaver @David_Bostock @Kris_Smith
Thank you each for taking the time to review and comment on this cacti scene from JTNP.
I’d actually photographed another scene earlier and was stumbling around on a hill full of volcanic rock when I came across this view. This actually worked out by chance better than my originally planned photo location. … :upside_down_face:

Paul: What a great find and an equally superb comp and capture. Luck happens to the observant and the prepared. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

Looks like a perfect desert oasis at Joshua Tree Paul. Love the composition. From the harsh but beautiful cactus in the foreground to the grasses and other flowering desert plants in the background and a U-boat separating them. :slight_smile: Really loving this one. It’s not hard to find cactus out in Joshua tree but I’ve never seen this kind before. Great catch Paul.

Paul,

This is an excellent photo. The dark rocks nicely frame the cactus. For some reason, the photo reminds me of a museum desert diorama with soft lighting and perfect placement of the elements of the scene. Awesome…Jim

@Bill_Fach @David_Haynes @Jim_Zablotny I wanted to thank you each for your posted comments here. I’ve been to JTNP more than any other site I’ve photographed over the years. But Bill’s point quoted above works for all of us in the field. It also applied to my 20+ years drag racing. If you were not there you had no chance of ever winning… :sunglasses: