Marquette Harbor Light III

Actually this was the first image I took. We were held up by an ore train delivering to the docks and so got there a bit late. I set up right beside a guy who had shot there many times. It was funny and he didn’t mind. There were a few people in chairs just to our right on the beach, but we could get into the water enough to eliminate them and create an all-water foreground.

After I got this I moved up into the grass to produce the other two images I posted in this series. I like them all, but think the other two challenged me more than this one. Pretty much everyone shoots the lighthouse this way for sunrise in summer.

Specific Feedback Requested

All impressions and suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens @ 15mm (30mm equiv.)
f/14 | 1/10 sec | ISO 200
Tripod & polarizer
5-image HDR Blend

Lr processed for lens correction, exposure, white & black points, texture & a crop to 16:10. Some brush work to lift the shadows. Ps for spot removal and some changes to the building itself. TK6 darks mask to improve the shadows further.

@the.wire.smith
4 Likes

Kris
I really like the color palette but prefer II over this one.

1 Like

Wow, you had a killer sunrise that morning, and you made the most of it with this series. The colors in the sky and water look very natural and pleasing. And again, I love how the light is reflecting in the windows of the house, it’s a nice small touch. I also like your composition, which gives a little more real estate to the sky (which it fully deserves). My only suggested tweak would be to add a small amount more shadow recovery in the greenery, but only a little.

This is a strong image in it’s own right, even if this is the “classic” view. But my favorite so far is the one with the grasses and beach in the foreground (your second post). The light was just a bit sweeter in that one.

1 Like

I have been going back and forth between the two versions and I am finding I prefer this one. It conveys a more tranquil, serene mood to me and just really works. The other is quite good too, but this one is the clear winner for me. I am not sure bring out more shadow detail would add anything, as it looks quite natural as is, especially when viewed full size. Really nice work.

1 Like

Wonderful composition and colors! My only suggestion is print and frame!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I love that people have their favorites. It’s a really nice location. Well, almost anywhere in the UP is amazing.

This one is definitely my favorite from your series Kristen. Your exposure and processing are well done and natural. I like the peaceful, quiet mood of this view. It makes me want to grab a cup of coffee and sit on the dock to take it all in.

1 Like

This is the best of this series of images. I like the simplicity of the composition and the light is so beautiful. Very nicely done!

1 Like

Thanks @Eva_McDermott & @Brian_Schrayer - it was a terrific sunrise. There is one more shot I’m feeling dubious about posting, but I still might, just to get opinions since you are all so shy. :laughing:

Kris, this is another excellent sunrise shot. I’m not sure which one I do like the best thus far. Bring on your next one! And congratulations on Editor’s Pick!

1 Like