Mastering Composition: The Definitive Guide for Photographers

Author

Richard Garvey-Williams

Link to resource:

Image of resource:

1 Like

I bought this book as a result of this recommendation. Now I’ve finished it, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The author spends a lot of time discussing six principles of Gestalt Theory, how we perceive relationships between distinct elements, and how we derive meaning and order. These principles are explored in depth throughout the book, with excellent photographic examples and diagrams. The chapters are: Visual Perception (where Gestalt Theory is introduced), Principles, Rules & Guidelines, Elements of Design, The Role of Tone & Color, Applying the Theory, and lastly an interesting discussion about Photography of Art.
Composition has always been a topic of interest for me, something of a mystery. I’ve read various pieces and viewed various videos, including discussions of Gestalt Theory and Elements of Design. I’m sure we all have favorite books on this topic. All I can say is that I found myself totally immersed and engaged throughout the book. I feel I will approach a scene (with my camera) with a new/renewed sensibility in my mind and heart.

1 Like