Matilija Poppy

Big floppy petals of a Coulter’s Matilija Poppy (according to Seek, my plant ID app). It is a perennial, native to Southern California and Baja California. Several were blooming in a patch and I was able to isolate this one.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
500mm, f/8, 1/1000 sec, ISO 160.
I was close to minimum focus distance…about 7-1/2 feet.
I darkened the background for effect, and removed a tiny portion of a bud behind a petal.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice Mark. Love the details you’ve captured in the white petals while still maintaining the detail in the center of the poppy. Also like how you dealt with the background, definitely helps make the flower pop.

A beautiful portrait of a beautiful flower. I have never seen this flower here in Italy. I like the crumpled petals, it was just bloomed?

@Giuseppe_Guadagno, thanks very much! Yes, these are blooming now, and will probably be done blooming in one more week. They are very beautiful.

@linda_mellor, Thank you Linda. I like that darker background too for the contrast.

You handled the whites nicely and maintaining a good deal of detail. The slope of the poppy bloom with the surrounding buds tells a story as well. The choice of a dark background also makes the white flower pop. Very pleasing image.

Thank you Patricia. These are pretty petal shapes, and I also liked the framing of the flower by those buds.

I don’t know how I missed this when you posted it, Mark. This is gorgeous. The flow of the petal shapes around the golden center makes an entrancing composition.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. There was a patch of them and I looked for a single one. This really caught my eye.