Meeting Place

Turkey vultures gather along the roof ridge of a slowly-succumbing outbuilding. To make this composition a bit less static, I waited for one of the birds to take off, as one is preparing to do here.

Technical Details

Composite: No
EF 200-400mm + 1.4x @ 506mm; f/8 @ 1/250 sec, ISO 320

1 Like

Another great image, Bob. Nice touch with the timing too. Excellent.

Thank you, David. I attempted to capture one landing, but their approach took them below the level of the roof ridge, out of sight. Then they would swoop up and land immediately. Never got the full-wingspan approach photo, but I am pleased with what I captured. Time well spent.

I like the washed-out treatment you went with, Bob. Waiting for the flap turned out well, too.

Thank you, Kristen. I composed and processed this image in a way to direct the viewer’s eye knowing that it will be attracted to the area of highest contrast first—the black birds against the bright grass, then the dark corner of the roof, then the silhouetted tree and the smaller building with the power pole jutting up. Any additional contrast in the grasses would have confused or muddied the message. All the other, subtle lines are aimed diagonally across to the right, forming subliminal arrowhead shapes.

1 Like