Merced River Canyon

I was looking at trying to find an image that fits this weeks challenge - busy - and thought about this image. But I decided that this really wasn’t busy at all so I’m posting it here. I added a touch of vignette to darken some of the margins of the image because they really did add some level of busyness. I posted this several years ago on the old NPN but unlike many old ones that have gone out of favor I still like this one. What do you think?

3 Likes

I really like what I am looking at here, Igor. The big trunk in the BF anchors the image and provides a juxtaposition with the trees. I do wish a sliver more room at the bottom though, just to give the trees some room for their “roots”. B&W works really well in this image.

2 Likes

I love the silvery tones you captured here Igor. All the elements are well placed in your composition giving more of a sense of order and not chaos.

1 Like

Hi @Igor_Doncov, i like the image, the composition is busy but works in my opinion. You made a good choice to process in B/W. I would add more breathing room in bottom left but it’s only a personal consideration. Thanks for sharing.

I quite like this, Igor. I am not finding it busy. Real nice tones and interesting subject and detail. I would agree with Massimo about space at the bottom but not a biggie to me. This has a real nice John Sexton look to it, reminding me of his work.

Hi Igor,
I like this one a lot. The tones are great, there’s just enough detail in the dark areas . The only nit is the bright spot at the bottom of the tree trunk.

You’re absolutely right. Good catch. And it’s not a tree trunk but the side of a cliff.

There’s a lot to see, but it’s not busy in a bad way. Very pleasing to look at! I love the contrasts, especially those bright branches passing before the darker background just to the left of the middle. Just a touch more room at the bottom could be nice as mentioned before, but maybe it was rocky and messy there. I’m sure you thought about it :wink:

Nicely composed and processed. Yeah, a wee bit more room on the bottom would be better but not an image killer.

I agree with you Igor, this image is not too busy, there is actually a lot of order here. Some of that order comes from the composition (the prominent arrangement of the two trees and the cliff), and some of it comes from your B&W processing, ie the dark tones behind the trees, and the strong vignetting overall along the edges. Your range of tones is very well done, and creates a crisp looking image.

I agree with @SunnySra about the bright spot at the bottom of the cliff, and I would go even another step further. I would burn down the very bright “stripes” in the center of the cliff. This would make the right tree stand out more. But I am okay with the bright area at the top of the cliff, it’s far enough away from the trees that it’s not a problem to me.

And I really like the use of the white frame here, it seems especially effective with B&W images. I also noticed the same thing in your recent rework of Harleys B&W dune shot.

A bit late, but I couldn’t go any longer without commenting. Love this image. Excellent choice going b&w here too; the leafless and delicate branches stand out so much better with this processing. And I know how the color scene is as I’m fairly certain of this location. So even more impressive your result here Igor.

If I had one nit, suggestion would be to deal with the brighter rock face in the LR quadrant. Perhaps painting a darker tone in there, burning, whatever works. It’s not so much a distraction, rather it seems out of place relative to the other elements of rock and tree. Not an image killer by any stretch either - just an observation.

Lon

I figured that you, if anyone, would know this spot. It’s just an ordinary looking pullout in the highway. Nothing to compare with what’s up ahead in the Valley.

1 Like

The tones and textures in this image are beautiful Igor. I love “busy” when it’s well organized as this is. My kind of image.

Aside from what others have mentioned I thought the right side was a bit tonally dull in comparison to the rest of the image which is so lively. Using the brush tool in LR, I raised both the shadows and highlights to give this section of the image more life. See what you think.

Wonderful processing, John. I will add it to the original post to show the changes even better. I do like the processing on the right but is it diverting attention away from the skeleton trees? I like the individual processing of that area but am wondering if it works for the image as a whole.

Hmmm. Looks like I can’t edit my original post. @David_Kingham, is there a time limit during which you can edit your post? This one was posted quite a while ago.

Indeed, it was set to 60 days. I’ve removed the limit so you should be able to edit it now.

I think you’re right Igor. The skeleton trees want to be the stars of the show and rightly so. I tried a number of things to integrate the right side of the image in order to support the trees but wasn’t successful. I think you took the better approach.