Middle Fork Reflection

Jumping on the water views for the jigsaw puzzle challenge - this is an image I shot along the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River in the late afternoon as the reflections on the swift water there started getting kind of sweet.

As always, I’m open to any and all feedback. My hope was to read a sort of middle point between abstraction and representation, and to also have some tension between the image being about the surface of the water versus what is beyond the surface (both below and above and behind). And between “photographic reality” and something more internal.

Jim, water abstracts offer lots of possibilities from nearly pure real (on a calm flat surface) to totally abstract (fast moving water or a windy day). As you say, this view is a fine middle ground, with the tree trunks making the reflection source clear even as the extra brightness and colors in the middle make a fine abstract statement. I like this a lot as presented, but could also see exploring tighter views of the brighter more colorful areas, such explorations are part of why I’m such a fan of water (solid or liquid) based abstracts.

1 Like

James,

Another awesome entry. A little more reality based (relative to posts so far!) but very clearly this would be a challenging puzzle - with at least some areas to build off of… We used to do a lot of puzzles at home when I was young… and someone would always grab all the red pieces and get the barn first… or the canoe… :wink: and that brighter area at the bottom serves that puzzle grabber for sure.

I like the long format too. Great job and entry.

Lon

1 Like