Mighty Oak

I was looking for a way to dramatize this tree. Shot and processed 10 years ago.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D2, Canon 16-35 II at 16, ISO 400, f/11, 1/125 sec. Converted to B/W with Silver Efex and then Topaz Simplify with an edge effect added in a separate layer for control. Some vignette blur on the layer below the edges.

What an interesting approach to this image, Diane. Almost looks like a puzzle. Very cool.

I really like the bark Diane! The texture looks almost like an oil painting in and white, especially about half way up the trunk. Also, your perspective looking up is striking. Cool!!!

This is a great image to show how filters can pay off. The effect of the filter on the tree at the topmost branchs is wonderfully intriguing. Those little bits of white that Mark mentioned lead me up the trunk.

Thanks everyone – @David_Bostock and @Mark_Muller – and a :wink: to @Glennie for an inside joke. I guess it’s a complex thing to explain filters used for a specific effect vs. a slap-on watercolor-esque look on super-heavy textured paper to try to salvage an image – which makes even a good image look like a salvage attempt. Hope I manage to avoid that.

Diane, this is an intriguing look up this tree trunk. The pixelation effect fits the scene nicely and converts it from fairly standard into a different view.