Mirroless Upgrade

I’m thinking about updating my mirrorless camera system. I currently have a Panasonic G9 for a lightweight kit. I’m considering switching to an APS-C based system, either a Fuji xt-5 or a Canon R7. Does anyone use either of these systems for landscapes/hiking? How do you like them. The Canon R mount lenses seem really expensive, are they worth it?

Hi Bob and welcome to NPN. I’m curious as to why you think you need to upgrade? Is there a feature or capability the G9 doesn’t have that you need for landscapes? Other than being lightweight, you haven’t mentioned any characteristics you want to have. It will be helpful to have that information before chiming in.

Curious why you want to go to APC-C… lots of answers to your questions… but more questions will lead to a better decision.

Yes, Canon lenses are great… and expensive.
Is your primary goal to have lightweight gear that has the highest quality?
What are your main priorities?

I built a tool that might be useful.

I like the Micro 4/3 system for most things. But I do find that the small sensor is not always as good under challenging/low lighting situations. So I’m researching the APS-C. based mirrorless systems. I’ve used a Canon 7D II, and that’s APS-C, so I’m guessing the Fuji and the R7 will be similar (maybe better with newer electronics). The Canon R7 is a cheaper body, but the lenses are quite a bit more than the Fuji. I can use an adapter to use the older Canon EF lenses, but those are a bit bulky. There are a lot of options!! Good problem to have, lol.

I used the Fuji XT system for seven years or so and loved it. I wrote an article about it some time back https://www.exploringexposure.com/blog/fujifilm/fujifilm-x-t3-for-landscape-and-nature-photography/

After many years of abuse, my XT-3 and the lenses were starting to have issues, and I needed to upgrade my entire system (which would have happened with any system with the way I used it). I switched to the Canon R5 primarily because I wanted to get back into astrophotography. Otherwise, I would have been very pleased with the XT-5. If you don’t do astro I think you will be incredibly happy with the XT-5.

You could also consider the Nikon Z7II, it’s incredibly lightweight for a full frame camera.

2 Likes

Also, as far as the main goal, yes high quality with low weight. Within reason though, because that statement could include some very expensive bodies that are a little out of my price range. I’m just not as happy with the results from micro 4/3 as I used to be. And I want a better mirrorless system.

I agree with this assessment.

1 Like

I have a Fuji XT 2 as my back up camera and walk around travel camera. I had a Fuji XE1 prior to that which I loved. My main camera for landscape work is a Sony however. Fuji files are really clean and almost noiseless but not nearly as detailed as full-frame. Just depends on your needs. If you don’t sell large prints then Fuji is probably perfect.

It all depends on your needs. For APS-C nothing beats Fuji when you evaluate the whole system. Fuji has the widest selection of quality APS-C lenses. The new 40MP sensor is excellent allowing for larger print sizes without sacrificing noise performance from the prior 26mp sensor. I personally like the classic look and UI of the X-T and X-pro series cameras. Silver is a must. This significantly adds to my desire pick up the camera and use it. For me, the aesthetics and the manual 1970’s look and way of use is every bit as important to my creativity as all of the other practical features of any camera.

I do two main types of photography, travel/street and nature. For street, I use the X-T5 with 23 f/2, 35 f/2, and 50 f/2 lenses that are tiny but sharp. This is all I need for any situation for touring a city in Europe or anywhere. It all fits in a small shoulder bag.

For nature I use the same camera with 10-24mm f/4, 35mm f/2, 80mm f/2.8 macro, and 55-200mm telephoto. These lenses are small compared to their full frame counterparts making a lighter backpack.