Misty Long Lake

This is a picture I made a couple of weeks ago about 1 mile from my home. I often head over to Long Lake in the early morning and especially when we have some fog. On this morning the conditions were really nice right after sunrise and I hoped to capture the look and feel of the mist and fog on that morning. Long Lake flows into the Wisconsin River just past this location. I used a 6 stop ND to get the longer 10 sec. exposure in order to get the streaks in the moving water.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

Canon 5DMk4, 24-105L @73mm, ISO 50, F/16, 10 sec with 6 stop ND.

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

A real beauty, Nick. Has a great sense of tranquility and quiet. Composition and exposure look perfect. I’m really enjoying this.

Great dreamy mood and nice painterly look to the image. Peace and tranquility. Very sweet.

Gorgeous scene, Nick. For me it is the stunning detail in the scene. The FG trees, branches, leaves and even the “Y” shaped snag in the water middle ground right is excellent…:sunglasses:

Bill, Harley and Paul. Thanks guys! I thought it was a wonderful morning to photograph this location and I’m so glad you like it. It was frustrating because I could not come up with a composition that worked so finally decided I had to get into the water and that is when I got this shot. Thanks for your thoughts! Nick

Inspired work. I didn’t realize at first that was water. This one has an artistic look to it somehow. I think it’s the 2 trees on the left.

This is gorgeous, Nick - your processing makes it look almost like a watercolor! And I am again surprised by how much this place looks like the Southern Appalachian Piedmont. The river might have been a bit smaller over here, but I would be very hard pressed to tell the vegetation and topography apart.

Lovely Nick! The mix of colors is a beautiful palette.

Nick that ND filter did some wonderful things to the water, and creates a very painterly feel to this image. your processing of the backlit trees looks wonderful. Nicely done.

Igor, Alberto, John and Ed, Thanks guys! So glad you like it and I really appreciate your thoughts on it. Nick

This has a lovely tranquil mood to it, Nick. The morning light is gorgeous and the light fog hovering over the water has imparted a dreamy feel to the scene. The six stop NP was perfect for this beauty. Is that a great way to start the day or what.:grinning:

Ed, Thanks so much! Yes, it certainly is a great way to start the day out! Cheers, Nick