Moonlight

Tymfi mountain, Epirus, Greece - August 2019.

Tymfi mountain is one of the most beautiful mountains I’ve ever been to. This was the second time I managed to visit these hiking trails. The original plan was to shoot the moon rising above the dragon lake. But I calculated wrong the rise time so I had a dark sky with the galaxy looking crystal clear behind the dragonlake. So I managed to get some good astrophotographies. On the way back to the Astrakas refuge the moon had started to rise behind the highest Tymfi’s peak, Gamila. It slowly began to illuminate Astraka, the second highest peak, and the colt between Astraka and Lapatos where the refuge came into view. The shade of the Gamila and Ploskos peaks covered the Laka Tsoumani plateau where there were herds of semi-wild horses. The galaxy above Astraka had begun to disappear, and so it is equally noticeable in the photo. As the moonlight shone, along with the galaxy most of the stars began to disappear. However I was lucky enough to have a very clear and bright view, of Jupiter to the right of the galaxy and Saturn to his left. The sky was clear except for one cloud over the colt that filled the indifferent part of the sky with almost no star due to the light pollution from the small and large Papigo. Without a second thought I set up the tripod and fastened the wide-angle lens to the camera. I push up the iso and set the time to 20 seconds to prevent the movement of the stars. The result is what you see.

1 Like

Tremendous shot Christos. Beautifully rendered and nicely balanced. Was this a single exposure or a blend?

1 Like

Thank you Jim, I’m glad you like it! It was a single exposure but I edit it twice, one for the mountains and one for the sky and then I blend them.

1 Like