Moorland Scene + rp

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 400D, 18-55 @ 33, 1/125 @ f18, ISO 200

A stretch of moorland on an old English country estate. This is close to the conurbations of Stockport and Manchester, just visible in the distance.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ian, that stone wall is amazing. You have to wonder how long it takes to put one of these up. I like how you placed the turn in the wall so it gives a starting point to lead our eyes along the wall off into the distance. Interesting to see the contrasts between the two grass areas on both sides of the wall too. A nice take overall…:sunglasses:

I really like the overall mood, composition and the colors of this image. However, when I open it up the image appears slightly soft. I can’t tell why this would be, possibly handheld? And there is a fair amount of dust spots. Hopefully this helps

Hi Ian, I think you have quite a nice composition here. The wall leads you nicely through the image and stops perfectly under the well placed clouds. You also have a line coming in from the left that draws you to the same point. My favourite part of the comp in the clouds but to cc them I would have kept them a little further from the upper edge. For breathing space.

When I clicked on the shot I did notice it was a little bit soft. This may be down to to a few things:

• the shot possibly being handheld
  • Using f/18 - at f/18 you will start getting diffraction as the incoming light bends round the aperture blades. With the lens you are using (and I know this from experience of the same lens many years ago) the effect of diffraction is larger in that lens rather than a higher end glass. I’m not saying ditch the lens, but find the sweet spot for sharpness. I would guess you could have got away with f/11 for this shot and that may have helped the sharpness.

There is also some haloing and/or chromatic abberation where the wall interacts with the sky. This could be the lens or a processing artefact.

I’m also seeing some dust spots in the sky.

Overall it’s really nice shot :slight_smile:

Thanks, Eugene, for the comments. I have actually just acquired a new 10-22 lens which I hope will give better results, but your tips are very valuable regarding diffraction especially. I did tackle some haloing/abberation but must have missed some on the way ! Thanks again.

1 Like

No problem! The 10-22 is a really nice piece of kit. You’ll be pretty happy with the results from it.

I agree that the clouds are critical to this composition and that a bit more space is desirable. Since the sky is a fairly uniform blue adding more sky could be accomplished fairly easily in PS.

Great lines and colors. I would not mind just a little more room at the top and agree with the comments about the softness. Great scene.

Reposting with a content aware crop tool fill at the top

Many thanks for the comment, Igor. I was unaware of the use of the crop tool in PS to add canvas with content aware fill. Have reposted along the lines I believe you were suggesting.