Moraine Lake Snow Storm

Another Pano attempt from the Rockies from me. This is one of the most photographed locations in Canada but in an early season snow storm it’s possible to find tranquility at this spot.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Particularly around composition and mood.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

5 Likes

Wow, this is really great. The mood is definitely cold, mysterious, too, with the land on the right fading into the distance. I love, love, love the texture of the snow over the left hand trees. The composition works for me - it feels balanced in terms of the visual weight of the left trees taking up about 1/3 of the frame vs. the fainter right-hand 2/3. :+1:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. As Bonnie has said - beautifully balanced and so very delicate. I also love the texture of the falling snow on the right. The lightly seen land mass on the right adds perfect depth and balance. I applaud the light touch you’ve shown with colour. Fog is, indeed, the photographer’s friend.

1 Like

Lovely image, Nathan, and I like the pano format a lot. I also like the way it is balanced; the larger, but more faint landmass on the right seems well balanced to the smaller but more visible land - nice bit of eye trickery. The color is nice, but I think this would also look great as B&W.

Really beautiful, Nathan. The mood is quite dreamy and the hint of the right shore is sublime. No nits here.

@Bill_Chambers @Bonnie_Lampley @Harley_Goldman @Kerry_Gordon thanks for your comments on this image. I thought that the composition was left-right balanced when I was cropping but was unsure whether it would translate due to the fog covering the right hand side.

It’s good to hear that it translates.

This is a beautifully crafted pano, Nathan. The atmospherics with the fog set the table for me and I love the balance between the two shorelines. This also has a nice sense of mystery to it with the BG shoreline fading away into the fog. The snow shows up beautifully in the large version and is a wonderful bonus. This is a perfect scene for a pano as it is distilled down to just the necessary elements that you needed. I am thoroughly enjoying this lovely image.

Wow! This really works. I love the feel here. Those detailed, isolated trees in the storm surrounded by water. All of that negative space on the right adds to that emotion. And yet that space has some bit of detail within it as well. Classic minimalist image. I could see this hung in a gallery somewhere. Very nice work!

Wow, really nice Nathan. I love the subtle, barely visible presence of the background trees (you need to view this large for the full effect). This image is like it’s from a dream…

The cliche is to include an odd number of subjects. But the 4 trees are a very pleasing arrangement. Or is that really 3 trees plus 1, thus having two groups with an odd number of trees? Math can be so confusing…

Very ethereal and peaceful. Beautifully captured Nathan.

@Ed_Lowe @Ed_McGuirk @Marc_McCann @Eva_McDermott thank you for your kind comments.

Ed, I did consider the rule of odds when I was copping but I couldn’t achieve that and maintain left/right balance. I was hoping that tonally speaking that the eye would consider all four trees as one item.

I see them as either one set of trees, or as a group of 1 plus a group of 3, so I perceive it as an odd number no matter what.