Moraine's Edge

Just as we were entering the pandemic here in the US last March, my family and I were with friends in Estes Park at the Y for spring break. I had hoped the trip would be productive from a photographic standpoint, but I was only able to get out for one sunrise. The trip was cut short and the Y closed as we entered lock down, but I was able to snag this one and a couple of others walking outside our cabin before leaving.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all. Thanks!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

@bolyard_photography
3 Likes

Nice shot, Adam. I really like the colors and processing. I think another possible shot would be without the FG rock. Hope you don’t mind my rework. Cropped, sawn branch cloned out, left side tee trunk burned in.

Looking at my repost, I also cloned out the light FG rock at bottom.

Hi Adam! I really like this photo as is. I like the foreground rocks as they make me feel like walking on them to go through the trees onto the next rocks for a scramble! Beautiful composition!

I like the foreground rock but not so much the leaning tree…go figure. I remember taking about 30 minutes and many trial images before I was ok with a similar image of Pines and granite.

@Michael_Lowe, @Vanessa_Hill, and @Stephen_Stanton

Thank you very much for the feedback. I like Michael’s rendition eliminating the lower portion of the image. It certainly focuses the composition.

Adam, I can see why you were attracted to this scene, I find the combination of ponderosas and boulders to be very interesting. I also like the “horizontal balance” of the composition, meaning that the spacing of elements from left to right is well balanced, with the group of 3 pines on the left, the big boulder in the center, and the group of trees on the right. I agree with @Michael_Lowe that it’s the “vertical balance” of the comp that doesn’t work as well for me. The bottom boulders feel a bit out of place for me. For one they are a different color than the gray boulder you really want the viewer to look at. And second by including that foreground boulder, you are forced into adding a lot of negative space in the LRC that doesn’t add much to the image for me. I might have tried re-composing this scene and stepping to the right to exclude the foreground boulder, but barring that, I think Mikes crop helps address the issue.