Mordor Inverpolly

Knockan Crag, Assynt, Scotland

Astonishing sunset light developed behind Stac Pollaidh a singular tiny mountain peak which looks more like a volcano than a mountain. Despite it’s bizarre glowing red hue behind the surrounding hills it is not active and nor is it volcanic. This was the start of some truly epic end of day lighting and this was undeniably the finest and possibly the strangest light I have ever seen on wee Stac Pollaidh.

Fuji GFX50(S), 100 -200 zoom. ISO 100, f/11, 1/30 sec.

5 Likes

The light really is exceptional here. The layering below works well as support for the spectacle above.

Stunning capture Ian. I like the perceptible detail in the mid ground as well a the well balanced exposure of the sky.

Amazing and gorgeous, and I love the title! I like that you didn’t go too dark at the top. I wonder if there is a bit more detail to pull out of the second layer of hills, but that is such a small nit.

Ian,

Nicely done in every way, composition, processing and the title is a nice touch as well. I am looking for the Nazgul flying around the mountain!

A breathtaking image. Beautiful color and fabulous composition!

Another wow! Just super.

I love the layering of the hills coming down from opposite sides, and of course that incredible light. Really well done. I love this.

Hello Ian, great subject, great composition and fantastic light. Wow, this is as good as it gets. Congrats for making this stunning image.

Incredible soft glow on this Ian. The layers also add a sence of depth to this. Beautiful image!