Morning Stroll

A very beautiful morning in the Mara brought us to the Double Cross pride, a big pride of lions that we managed to follow until they crossed the rocky river. This lioness of the pride walked out of the shadow of the bushes straight into the very first daylight.

Masai Mara, Kenya

What technical feedback would you like if any? ANY

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ingridvekemansphotography

3 Likes

I love this image! There are two things that really stand out to me. The first is that gorgeous light on the lion. The second is the composition. I love the extra room you gave on the right. A touch more on the bottom wouldn’t hurt but it’s still great without it. She seems so relaxed.

Light, (especially the light) subject and composition are the necessary elements of a great photo. All three are here. Congrats!! Richard

Splendid. The light on the lioness is incredible, and I agree that it is perfect that you left so much space in the direction of the lioness sight. A truly beautiful and emotional image.

Hi Ingrid,

Incredible lighting and she certainly gave you the pose. Comp is perfect with that extra space to the right. Can’t get any better than this one…Jim

Wonderful image love the light and the strolling paws.

Hi Ingrid ! I agree with everything nice said about the photo, also agree that a touch more room at the bottom would help.
Somehow I find the blacks in the picture bit heavy against the morning light, IMHO lightening them a bit may make the picture more delicate in the morning light.

Cheers !

Hi Ingrid, a stunning image and sublime light. On a second viewing the light spot at the top of the frame keeps dragging my eye there, cropping would probably be too severe so maybe clone it out with grass beside it?

Such soft, warm light on this gorgeous animal. There’s a painterly quality to it. I agree about cloning out the light spot at the top. Might as well make this absolutely perfect!

A very striking photo, Ingrid! The lion is sharp and well placed in the frame but the lighting is what really makes it special. Nicely done!

Dear all, thanks so much for your comments. I have been preoccupied with various things lately and couldn’ t spare the time for NPN, but slowly but surely I’m back!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hardly did anything in post processing, so the light was was it was and it was beautiful.

@AndySimpson and @Kathy_Barnhart - I don’t clone. I’m one of those silly purists :wink: - cropping I would do a little but when I do this, I still prefer the light spot at the top, to me it adds to the perspective. But I still welcome all opinions, I can just be stubborn about my choices, that’s all :upside_down_face:

Thanks again and have a beautiful day.

Ingrid.