Mountain Euro

The image shows a Euro (or Wallaroo) which is just one of Australia’s 73 species of macropods. These animals are not tame, but also not worried about the presence of an odd photographer. This one was high on a rocky outcrop in the beautiful desert country of Arkaroola in South Australia, where the mountains give way to red gibber plains that stretch as far as the eye can see. We were lucky to be there as the sun was setting and giving such beautiful light.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/6400 f4.5 ISO1000 70-200@200mm handheld.

1 Like

Terrific pose and the light is, too. A muscular and robust example of these curious creatures. I’ve never been down your way and so I think I’ve only ever seen roos in zoos. I think. One of these days we’ll get down there and see them for ourselves. Good detail and nuance in the fur and I love the supporting tail. This one doesn’t look as scarred as some do in photos from their many battles.

This is so cute, Glennie! Really beautiful landscape as well. I love how the Wallaroo is looking at you! She looks so curious! Beautiful capture!

What a lovely curious-seeming look at you, and the light is gorgeous! Such nice detail in highlights and shadows, and the perfect color-coordinated BG! I love the feet – they would make a nice subject in themselves. I’m glad you were able to fit in the tail.

Glennie, I am so enjoying your images from Australia. Please keep them coming. Great pose here.

Great subject and wonderful pose!
It may benefit from some boost in contrast.