Mouse on a Palm

Sheltering in place on the Big Island seemed a better idea than enduring the February rains of the Pacific NW, so we went to Hawaii.
This flower? frond? on a palm tree just off of our Lanai was a popular spot. We came back from the beach to find this little guy enjoying lunch about 20 feet off of the ground.

I received the R6 as a Christmas present and am in the process of learning its limits compared to a 7D ii.

Specific Feedback Requested

The highlights behind the mouse - too bright?
any other comments

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS R6
EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM & 1.4x III (adapter)
Handheld
1/40 sec at f/8.0 ISO 5000
400mm focal length

nwmoments

Dave, this is such a good catch that I would remove by cloning or otherwise alter those highlights. Also, a little brightening of the head and lower part of the body and then you’d have a real winner!

1 Like

Interesting little critter. Lucky it was near and congrats on the new camera. Looks quite magenta to me and could probably use a shift there. And I echo Mike’s ideas about the highlights.

1 Like

What a cool catch, Dave. I agree with removing or toning down those highlights. Oddly the colors in the rest of the image seem fine, but the mouse does look awfully red/purple/magenta. If it really was that color just tell us to get lost.

That’s an awful nice Christmas present!

1 Like

Thanks guys - you have given me some work to do…

Really nice photo, however I think it would be better is you composed it so the mouse was left of centre, I think objects work better when (where possible) they are entering not exiting the images, as your eyes follow the direction of the subjects movement. But the mouse is really good

1 Like