Ms Gadwall Gives a Flap

A Gadwall hen getting her afternoon exercise.

Sony a6500, FE200600G w/1.4TC @ 840 mm (1260 mm w/crop factor), ISO-320, f/9.0, 1/2500, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very pleasing wing position. Excellent color and detail. Is this gravel or ice or slushy water? Superb point of view.

Hi Gary
I have just repeat what David said. Nice work.
Peter

A nice position you caught her in, Gary, and I like the idea of her exercising, (kind of looks like she is). Nice catch light in her eye, and wonderful details in her feathers.

Nice action captured. Detail on the bird and the light look good. I’m also curious. What is that background?

David; she’s standing in a shallow, muddy tidal pool and that’s a gravel bar behind her, covered in mud and water from the receding tide. At the top and in the distance is the deeper ocean water with small choppy waves.

Great pose and detail. I’ve never seen a gadwall at the coast; didn’t know they went for salt water.

Allen; here at Valdez, the Gadwall Ducks are almost as common as the Mallards on the tide flats. In fact, during the winter, they are even more common. I see them here all winter long.