My Belly is Bigger Than Yours & Alt. Crop

This Anna’s was very cooperative. HB contortions are frequently fascinating.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 800, 100-400 at 350, f7.1 1000th, A7R4, handheld 6 feet from bird, cloudy, 40% of full frame, no sharpening or clarity adjustments

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Love the pose of the bird. Detail is fantastic. No need for more sharpening here. I like the BG, but the perch is a little busy for me. I think I’d like it more if the OOF branches in the BG and the branch in front of the tail were cloned out.

I am curious whether you think you ever miss shots due to the EVF (rather than an optical viewfinder)? For me, that is my biggest concern about mirrorless. I know there is very little lag, but there is still a bit.

I love the glowing look of the gorget around the beak in this species, David, and you captured it beautifully. The pose is priceless. I’m ambivalent about the crop. It feels a bit centered, though I understand the desire to retain the clump of lichen. Maybe add some canvas on the left and take a touch off the bottom for a 4x5 format?

Very nice capture of this hummer with the gorget showing and fluffed feathers, David. Nice light and a very complementary background to boot. I think you add a little more frame on the left is possible and make this a more rectangular image.