My final fern

A final fern in the quest. Again I had to show this image. The rest I save for next year maybe.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D 850 F11, iso 800, 24-70 lens at29mm,

2 Likes

I love this, Ben. The mix of colors and shapes is a treat and you’ve isolated a nice group here. Some ferns just seem to change before the others in the fall and these are standouts. The fall flowers adds a nice kick and your overall sharpness and saturation look good, too. I couldn’t resist bringing it into Photoshop for a tiny bit of work -

In Camera Raw -

• Lifted the highlights a little
  • Shifted the orange slider a tiny bit to the red to bring up some of that contrast with the parts of the ferns that are still yellow in the center by the stems
  • Slight vignette and raised the highlights there
  • Reduced clarity and increased texture slightly
  • Increased overall exposure just a little

I hope you don’t mind. It’s such a peaceful, but intriguing image I couldn’t help myself. So well seen and I’m glad you shared it.

1 Like

This looks really good, Ben. The golden tones in the fern really stand out well. I would consider desaturating the yellow/gold leaves in the URC, as I find they compete for attention for me. No other suggestions, but I rather like this one.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman , @Kris_Smith ,Thank you both for your valuable comments.I like it as you try other things with an image.It shows the difference in feel. Where I finish you see more possibilities .And that set’s me to looking an image over again !
I did look up the name of this beautiful fern.
Dryopteris Erythrosora is also known as the Japanese Shield Fern or the Copper Shield Fern . This semi-evergreen fern boasts very attractive triangular, coppery pink young leaves

This is so lovely – I’m hoping for more next year! My only minor thought is for more detail and/or darkening in the lighter green fern that sweeps across the UL corner. It pulls my eye a bit.

I can see where this fern gets the name copper from. What an interesting mix of colors. Was this image taken in autumn or spring? I would assume autumn but with those flowers, maybe not. I like the strong diagonal line of the orange ferns, it creates a nice flow to the image. In addition, I think there is a second image lurking here too, a square-ish composition of just the left half, composed only of ferns.

@Ed_McGuirk , No Ed, this image I made just last week in my garden. (Dryopteris Erythrosora) Thanks for your suggestion of a square.

I thought this might be a spring image because of the flowers. Wow, that is a fern with wonderful colors…