My Nesting Bluebirds Have Returned

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have a pair of nesting Bluebirds who are returning for the fifth year in a row. Their return tells me the last frost is well past and summer is just around the bend.

Specific Feedback

I did a somewhat unusual crop as I wanted to show the signs of spring as well as the eagerly awaiting Bluebird who is waiting for mama to finish feeding the young ones. He will be next with his beak full of a hapless Mayfly.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7 II, 100-400 4.5/5.6 Z lens @ 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/1600

Pretty much did little in ACR other than camera/lens ID, knocked down a few highlights. I sharpened using ON1.

How lovely! This is a great photo and definitely tells the story of spring. I have mixed feelings about this crop…it is very creative and different from “the usual” which I like. My initial impression was that the bird was lost in it all and I found my eye going back and forth between the white blossom and the bright green leaves. I do think the bird, the bug and the unopened bud tell the story of spring as well so a tighter crop, or different aspect ratio (e.g. 16/9) might work too.

Again this is a lovely photo…I love the colour story as well!

1 Like

Beautiful, Chris. I really like this composition with the Bluebird small in the frame, but with that great wingspread showing. If you have the rest of that flower in the upper right, you might consider including it, but a very fine image as posted.

1 Like

I like the composition: very colorful and says “spring”. The wing spread adds a sense of action. Nice one.

1 Like

Hi Chris, love the pose on the bird with the upward wings and great that he is carrying a goody for the chicks. Nice composition that shows a bit of the world these birds call home. Agree with including all of the flower if you have it.

1 Like

I have all the flower, but with all of it comes with two large, dead leaves which are quite distracting.

Hi Chris
Not a classic bird photograph, with the bird being the center of interest, but we all come here to learn ad open up are vision. Thank you for tis photograph.
Peter

1 Like